The newspaper's roots trace back to 1837 in Jasper County, where The Eastern Clarion began. Later that year it was sold and moved to Meridian.
After the Civil War, it was moved to Jackson and merged with The Standard and soon became known as The Clarion. Combining with the State Ledger in 1888, it received the name of Daily Clarion-Ledger.
Meanwhile, four young men who were displaced by the merger founded their own newspaper, The Jackson Evening Post, in 1882. Fred Sullens purchased an interest in the paper in 1907, and shortly after changed the name to the Jackson Daily News.
Santee Cooper started work in September to install underground utilities along a section of Myrtle Avenue south of the South Causeway. It will serve 47 homes and is funded by the property owners and the town.
If a similar project begins north of the South Causeway, the utility will require an additional supply line along the North Causeway.
From the award-winning News Sentinel that’s served the region for more than 100 years, to a growing number of websites, magazines, community newspapers and special events, the KNS Media Group is unmatched in delivering valuable information and services throughout East Tennessee.
Committed to providing engaging news coverage and insightful commentary to the people living in Alabama's largest metropolitan area. Readers use The Birmingham News to gain knowledge and understanding about an exceptional range of information. From world, national, state and local news to business, culture, technology, religion, style, food, health, homes and more, the coverage in The Birmingham News is as diverse as its readers.